Saturday, October 17, 2009

Dodging bullets

So okay, not really bullets, but you'll get the idea soon enough...
Anyway, I'm from North Carolina. So most people in the states will appreciate this. Back home when you learn to drive, your parents teach you specific things about driving at night. Namely, white-tailed deer are abundant in NC and you learn to drive cautiously and to look out for the reflections from your headlights in their eyes. Thanks mom and dad!! That's saved me and my car driving at night back home. Now, being in Dominica, something that is lacking is deer. Or really any native mammals to be exact. However, this doesn't mean that you don't have to pay attention while driving at night (the potholes will eat your car, seriously!). So instead of trying not to hit deer, here you try not to hit crabs. Land crabs to be exact. Now back home, crabs on the beach are quite small (as they generally are here too). You have to go to a restaurant or deep sea fishing to see big crab (or just watch Deadliest Catch on Discovery channel, especially during King Crab season~~ yes, I know I'm a geek, but that show is AWESOME!! I love you Phil and the Cornelia Marie!). However, the land crabs missed the tiny crab memo apparently, bc those suckers are huge!!! (And not fast either, though at least they'd beat a turtle.) When I say huge, I generally mean about the size of a dinner plate. Not too shabby! So, while at this point, I technically still haven't driven a car in Dominica, I'm learning what I have to look out for when I do start driving. Once I embark on that experience, believe me I'll blog about it! Until next time...dodge those crabs!

No comments:

Post a Comment